- About Us
- Patient Info
- Cosmetic Dentistry
- Dental Implants
- General Dentistry
- Local Root Canal Therapy
- Emergency Dental Service
- Contact Us
- Medical Forms
Root Canal Procedure
Get Effective Root Canal Treatment in Gainesville Georgia
What is a Root Canal?
The term “root canal” can refer to an anatomical area inside the tooth, or it can refer to the procedure used to treat that area.
A tooth’s root is located at the bottom of the tooth, buried in the gums. If you follow the root up toward the center of the tooth, you will find the pulp cavity, which contains blood vessels and nerves. The root canals themselves connect the tip of the root to the pulp cavity.
When the pulp within those root canals becomes infected or damaged, a root canal procedure may be required. The treatment effectively preserves and restores the dead tooth, allowing you to restore your healthy smile without removing the tooth entirely and replacing it with a dental implant.
When Do I Need a Root Canal?
A root canal procedure may be necessary if the pulp in your tooth has become infected or damaged. A pulp infection could be caused by:
- Dental decay
- Fractures, cracks and other tooth injuries
- Repeated procedures on a tooth
- Large fillings
There will not always be telltale signs of an infection, but you may experience the following symptoms:
- Toothache – intense pain when biting or applying pressure to the tooth
- Sensitivity – increased pain when the tooth is exposed to hot or cold temperatures
- Discoloration – a darkening in color of the tooth
- Swelling – inflamed gums around the tooth
- Pimples – a recurring or long-lasting bump on the gums around the tooth
What is the Root Canal Procedure Like?
A root canal treatment is a multi-step procedure that involves opening the tooth, removing the infected or damaged tissue, and refilling and restoring the tooth. Below is a basic step-by-step overview of the procedure:
- First, the area around the tooth is anesthetized to ensure that the procedure is painless
- Then, an opening is made in the tooth
- Next, the infected pulp is removed from the tooth and cleaned out
- The canals are then filled with a permanent material known as gutta – percha.
- A filling is used to seal the original opening made in the tooth. If necessary, a supporting post is inserted into the tooth
- A crown that has been shaped and colored to match your teeth is then placed over the tooth, fully restoring its appearance and functionality.
Root canal procedures have a very high success rate, and the newly restored tooth frequently lasts a lifetime after the treatment is complete.
Why Do Our Patients Love Us?
Gentle Root Canal Procedures
The dentists at Lanier Dental Group use advanced dental technology and a personal touch to keep you at ease during your root canal treatment. Dental restoration has never been more comfortable.
High Quality Work
We make use of cutting edge tools and technology to provide safe and effective root canal procedures to our patients in Gainesville.
Affordable Root Canals
We work with your budget when it comes to root canals. We offer a variety of payments options and accept cash, checks and major credit cards. We also accept low and no-interest financing through third parties. Contact us to learn more about our insurance policy.
Root Canal Treatment in Gainesville GA
The dentists at Lanier Dental Group have been treating patients in the Gainesville, Georgia area for a decade. Residents of Gainesville and the surrounding area trust Lanier Dental Group to provide quality and affordable care.
Contact the dentists today to schedule a consultation and see if a root canal is right for you.